Thursday, October 15, 2009

Second Follow-Up with MD and other headlines

I hit the four week mark yesterday, October 14th, in my recovery from my surgery and actually have to confess it went by quicker than I thought. The first two weeks dragged a little because I had little company with me but then my sister visited, friends started dropping by regularly, and another friend from out of state also stayed a few days and made me feel well cared for. Before I knew it, I was actually having to carve out time to NOT be occupied with something or somebody, but I enjoyed it while it lasted.

Yesterday, I saw Dr. Arcand for my second follow-up and there were few surprises. She is quite pleased with my healing wound, no infection noted, nor has there been any pain or tingling like others have reported on their blogs. She had the splint and ace bandages removed and underneath it all was one nasty looking dry, shriveled up foot! I know it just needs some major treatment with Burts Bees lotion (which works wonders on dry skin if you have never tried it!) so I got over my attack of vanity pretty quickly.

She had another splint put on but this one just runs along the back of my calf to just past my toes and is held in place by one layering of ace bandage. This means it's very light, not bulky, and much easier to manage when I'm in bed. The plan is for me to see her again in two weeks at which time she will have me put the CAM boot back on for a trial run. This feels like positive progress to me (as if ANY progress could be negative, right?) so I felt pleased by the visit. She also felt I could take on 4 hours a day of working from home so I will start that on Monday, October 19th. As I crutched my way out of her office to the appointment desk, feeling pretty upbeat, I took a rather embarassing and unexpected semi-tumble but was caught by my partner, Lucy, before I could hit the ground. Lucy definitely seemed more startled than I did! A very nice office worker named Sue promptly got me into a wheelchair and carted me outside, waiting with me for Lucy to pull up the car which scored major points with me. I have encountered some really nice people during this process and Sue was one of them.

Today involved a number of calls between myself and my Human Resources worker who overloaded my brain by verbalizing all the necessary changes that are upcoming due to my going back to 20 hours per week. Of course, my worker's comp check will be duly reduced (and I got a certified letter delivered that drove that point home in black and white), and my sick time still needs to be used to pay for my medical insurance, 403b contribution, etc. I told her very quietly that "I'm really a visual person so could you send this to me in an e-mail??" She said sure, but continued outlining all the numbers and facts and figures while I silently tuned her out, trying to just stayed relaxed while she very intently rattled off all the details. I joked to a friend on the phone a little later, "Even Helen Keller's blood pressure would be spiked after a conversation like that!" Oh well.

All in all, I really can't complain too much about things. I've had a nice, extended rest, and have gotten very cozy with my cats. So much so that now Lucy complains "they like YOU better than they like me". I reasoned with her that she is welcome to tear out the largest muscle in her body, have surgery and SHE can sit with the animals to her heart's content! (She declined to accept this kind offer of mine.) If you can go through anything like this and maintain your sense of humor (I have), you can't help but feel you are coming out ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know your own experiences.