Monday, September 21, 2009

How it Happened and other stuff

I didn't realize (until this happened to me) how big a circle those of us are who have ruptured their achilles tendon, had surgery and then have to cope with the excruciating long recovery period (which I will call the ELRP from here on in). Then I quickly realized WHY so many of us are online blogging about it, asking questions of each other, comparing notes and the like: it majorly SUCKS. Not just that, but it is quite a titillating topic. When I tell people it will be THREE MONTHS until I can drive again, their mouths could collect flies from hanging open in shock. I also let them know I cannot bear weight on the right foot for at least 4-6 weeks, maybe longer. This, too, makes them oooh and ahhh in sympathy.

However, what gets the most curious reaction is when I tell people HOW this happened. Contrary to the tales about "playing hoops with the guys" or "slalom skiing at 100 miles per hour", all I can come up with is a "mousey incident" that happened on 8/26/09 in my office as I scurried about to get a mouse (hence "mousey incident") for my laptop as our morning rounds were about to begin. Before I go any futher, I know what you are wondering: 1) Yes, we ARE talking worker's comp and 2) no, there was no huge divot in the carpeting, snowstorm that blinded me or oil spill in the parking lot. Nope, just me lumbering around a corner trying to find a computer device for a stupid meeting and going whoops as I tripped over my own feet on indoor/outdoor carpeting that was about as plush as a memo pad. In other words, I fell on concrete flooring for all intents and purposes and, as my right foot got bent backward, my 200+ pound frame hurtled forward and I landed on my left elbow/forearm. Ouch does not even being to describe what came out of my mouth at that moment but you can be assured it was appropriate to what had just happened. No, I didn't hear that infamous "pop" as my achilles tendon wrested away from my ankle, but within minutes, once I staggered back up to my feet, it felt like my right foot had just been pumped up with about two full inches of padding from the swelling that took place!

For those of you not already in the know, time is of the essence when diagnosing and treating an ATR (achilles tendon rupture if you need a clue). After I ruptured mine on 8/26/09, I went immediately to have it looked it, was told that the swelling was normal and just to take ONE DAY off before returning to work. I had the worst spasms of my life that night and stayed home an additional day because the pain just totally freaked me out. Found out later that was my tendon crying out for its counterpart (and this happened for nearly a week before it subsided). I was seen again by the same clinic on 8/28, told that it looked like "things are moving along as they should" even though I was walking like someone twice my age. I truly had no pain, just weakness in the foot and no ability to push. On 9/1/09, my physical therapist (who was giving me weekly massages for a bone spur on the same foot) commented, "Hmmm, there's a crevice here on the ankle where your achilles tendon should be."
Words like "crevice on your ankle" should ALWAYS make you stop what you're doing and pay close attention!

It was 9/4 before I could get back in the clinic and finally I got a very serious but thorough physician's assistant who did something called the Thompson Test (where your calves are gently squeezed and, since these are connected to your ankle by your achilles tendon, if your ankle does not stir, that's a definitive sign of a rupture or tear in the achilles tendon. He calmly told me, "Yup, you've blown it right out!" There was a thud in my stomach that was just sickening as I heard him calling around looking for orthopedic surgeons who just might possibly be able to see me around 4:30 p.m. on the Friday afternoon before Labor Day weekend. NO way. I did, however, get an appointment for Tuesday, 9/8 and was told to stay off my feet as much as possible.

Another side bar: the fall I took also greatly injured my left arm (I fell on it, full weight. I recently was informed I have "tennis elbow" and that, over time, it will work itself out. However,right now, that painful left arm of mine is telling me to call it a night. Hope we can all exchange stories here and maybe even brighten up each other's days because I am going to be a homebody for at least a month or two and could use a few new friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for letting me know your own experiences.